July 06, 2007

Stationary traveller

It's getting just a little bit frustrating, thinking of the good weather and the places I might have gone to, while still being stuck in the office.

I haven't written a whole lot recently, so I haven't mentioned my new wheel truing stand that I picked up for a song on eBay. It's made by Ultimate and resplendent in anodised red aluminium and black cast iron. Ok, it's no Hozan, but it's solid and being one-sided it makes the wheel that bit more accessible. The trueness indicators have spring loaded tool steel tips, so you can spin the wheel and see where it graunches, without worrying about cutting into the sidewall. Having built all my previous wheels using the bike frame as the guide, it's light years more convenient having a proper stand. I also splashed out and bought a proper ergonomic spoke key; my three-way one is versatile but really uncomfortable to use. Like my Park PRS-15 workstand, having the right tools for the job really does make a difference. My Look CX6 carbon pedals had been sitting in a box and doing nothing since January, and after all those knee problems I have no intention of using Looks again. BentMikey bought them from me for his Hurricane upgrade project and he likes them a lot. I've actually been very happy with my el cheapo Shimano SPD pedals, which are on both the Speedmachine and Annie the Blue Bike, but they're a wee bit heavy and seem remarkably rust-prone, so I'll be looking for stainless hardware in future.

Meanwhile...

The big project begins and I'm excited! So far I have in front of me the following yummy parts:
  • FSA Carbon Pro Team Issue chainset (in hard-to-get 175mm)
  • RPM ISIS bottom bracket
  • Shimano XTR front derailleur [1]
  • Shimano Deore XT rear derailleur
  • Shimano Deore XT 9spd cassette
  • Sram PC-951 chain
  • Shimano Dura Ace bar end gear levers
  • Shimano Deore LX SPD pedals
  • Mavic A719 rim, laced to a Hope Mono hub with DT Swiss Revolution spokes
  • Sun CR-18 rim, laced to a Hope Mono lightweight hub with plain gauge stainless spokes
  • Kore lightweight stainless QRs
  • Avid Single Digit 7 v-brake
  • Avid Ultimate v-brake
  • Shimano Ultegra cartridge headset
Half of the above is actually second-hand, but a carefully chosen second-hand. I'm quite happy to pay £6 for a bottom bracket that's only done a few miles, but I'd only buy a brand new headset. I don't have the tyres yet, but they're on order. They're a new model from Schwalbe and apparently quite difficult to get hold of. I've also got some more 3T cork bar tape, the same as I used on the bar ends on both Annie and the little Helios. It's super comfortable and is nice to hold even in the rain. I also have some very solid padlocks, just in case you're having other ideas.

The frame...well the frame's still top secret because it hasn't arrived yet. None of that aluminium nonsense though. Steel is real, man.

[1] From the days when XTR was burnished blue and aluminium, and looked like jewellery for bikes. I think it's one of the loveliest components they ever made.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blimey, I have absolutely no idea what most of that means but it all sounds very good! I just wanted to say thank you very much for sponsoring me to do Pedal for Scotland. Are you doing it this year? If so I'll do a reciprocal sponsorship!

Becky T said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky T said...

Hey Carolyn! YHM (I hope). :)